201, Strait Street
Valletta VLT 2000
Tel. No.: 2568 9110
Office of the Permanent Secretary
Directorate General Strategy and Support
Agency for the Welfare of Asylum Seekers
Department of Probation and Parole
Corradino Correctional Facility
Defence Matters Directorate
Department of Civil Protection
Office of the Commissioner for Refugees
Refugee Appeals Board
Office of the Chief Information Officer
Request and Complaint Forms may be collected and submitted manually at the above address.
Payments can be made in cash or by cheque payable to the Office of the Permanent Secretary, Ministry for Home Affairs, at the following address:
201, Strait Street
Valletta VLT 2000
Applicants are requested to make an appointment with the FOI Officer before calling at the Public Authority for payment and/or collection of document.
7.45am – 12.30pm and 1.15pm – 5.15pm
Internal Complaints Procedure
An applicant whose request for information is refused, or who is otherwise not satisfied with the information provided, its format or the extension of the deadline for the submission of the notification indicating whether a request would be met or not, may address a complaint to the Permanent Secretariat.
The complaint should be addressed to the FOI Officer of the Permanent Secretariat MHA, who shall bring the complaint to the attention of the officer responsible (the officer responsible shall be the Director or the most senior Official within the entity concerned). The officer responsible shall reply to the applicant within 10 working days from the receipt of the complaint. The applicant shall also be informed that he or she may appeal the decision or otherwise address a complaint to the Information and Data Protection Commissioner in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act (Cap. 496 of the Laws of Malta).
The officer responsible shall inform the applicant of the decision taken with respect to his or her complaint, and in the event of confirmation of a decision not to release the pertinent information, shall explain the reasons thereof. Whenever the applicant’s complaint is related to the format of the information provided or to an extension of the deadline for the submission of the notification indicating whether a request would be met or not by the Permanent Secretariat, and the original decision is upheld, the applicant shall be given an explanation as to why his or her complaint cannot be positively addressed.
An applicant may also make use of the Internal Complaints Procedure to report failure to meet deadlines or to send notifications. In those cases where the request for information can be met, but has not been met within the deadlines specified by the Act, the officer responsible shall waive any applicable fees for the submission of information.
General Description of the categories of Documents held by the Permanent Secretary’s Secretariat
The Permanent Secretariat holds documents falling under the following categories:
- Policy documents and related working documents
on themes that fall within the portfolio of the Ministry
- Studies and reports related to the Ministry
- Draft legislation
- Briefing Notes and speaking notes for use by Government Officials
- Multilateral and Bilateral International Agreements
- Documentation and correspondence relating to pertinent matters of
- Documents related to the implementation of Ministry’s initiatives
- Reports of Projects Selection Committee of EU Funds
- Documents related to the programming of funds managed by the EU Funds Unit,
including Multi-Annual and Annual Programmes
- Manuals of procedures, Applications and other documentation related to the
management of EU Funds
- Reports and documentation related to the implementation of projects
co-funded by the EU
- Documents related to customer care queries
- Dossiers related to procurement (Request for Tender, Requests for Quotations
and Request for Information)
- Training Manuals for asylum determination officers
- Explanatory Memoranda, Briefing Notes for the Minister and Instruction Notes
for the Permanent Representative and other Maltese representatives.
- Council Documents
- Personal Files of Employees of the Ministry
- Minutes of the meetings and other documents related to the workings of the
Boards and Tribunals set up under the aegis of the Permanent Secretary
Description of all manuals and similar types of documents
The Permanent Secretariat, Ministry for Home Affairs holds the following documents, in accordance with which decisions or recommendations are made in respect of members of the public (including bodies corporate and employees of the public authority in their personal capacity):
- Guidelines for application for and criteria for the selection of projects to be co-funded by the EU;
- Freedom of Information Manuals